Monday, March 24, 2008

A Movie Recommendation


This weekend we rented the DVD "Goya's Ghosts." It was directed by Milos Foreman and stars Stellan Skarsgard,Natalie Portman, and evil incarnate from "No Country for Old Men", Javier Bardem. It is visually beautiful and terrible and places Goya's life and work into the context of The Inquisition, war, and all the atrocities he witnessed and expressed in his work. There is a wonderful quick sequence of the art of etching which quickly illustrates the process. Acting is first rate with Skarsdard as Goya, Portman as a model and victim of the Inquisition, and Bardem as a Catholic priest who breaks free and then is undone by his rebellion. I will say no more specifics about that. I highly recommend the film if you love Goya, history, or masterful filmmaking.

1 comment:

Chi said...

Thanks for the recommedation. I will check it out next time I am at the video store! I've almost checked it out many times, but thought Steve wouldn't like it, but I now think he would be interested.